GILGIT (Dawn): The Gilgit-Baltistan government has decided to beef up security at the Karakoram Highway and around the tourist points across the region following the launch of ‘Operation Zarb-e-Azb’ in the North Waziristan Agency. Officials told Dawn that a decision in that regard was taken at a high level meeting held here on Thursday, attended by Chief Minister Syed Mehdi Shah, FCNA Commander Maj-Gen Hafiz Masroor Ahmed, Chief Secretary Sikandar Sultan Raja, Information Minister Sadia Danish and officials of intelligence and security agencies.
The officials said that the meeting finalised a security plan to cope with any unwanted incident in the region in the wake of the military operation in NWA. The meeting decided to deploy more police and Rangers personnel at all entry points to GB at KKH and all tourist points, including Nanga Parbat, K2 base camp and Fairy Meadows to thwart any militant attack, said the officials. They added that police and Rangers had been directed to ensure checking of suspected people and vehicles to avert any untoward incident. The meeting also decided to enhance security of important buildings and hotels where foreigners stayed.
Meanwhile, according a press release issued by the press and information department, Baltistan, strict security arrangements have been made to protect important government buildings and worship places in the Baltistan region. The decision was taken at a meeting chaired by Baltistan Deputy Inspector General of Police Inayatullah Farooqi. It was decided that no one would be allowed to enter the area without a CNIC. DIG Farooqi appealed to people, ulema and civil society to play their role in promoting religious harmony in the region